American education is in the process of globalizing student experiences through 21st Century teaching and learning. These educational demands coincide with efforts in the history profession to broaden the context of United States History courses from a national narrative to a global framework. Combined, these two paradigm shifts require support for educators to develop lessons. modify instruction, and nurture skills in students for an increasingly complex and diverse world.
Globalizing U.S. history education, therefore, involves an “opening” of students’ conceptions of the past through expanded content, broader methodology, and units of analysis that go beyond the nation. Preparing history teachers to do this is integral to student success.
The U.S. History in a Global Context project is a dynamic resource that addresses the scarcity of professional development programs dedicated this approach. Additionally, the resources we have assembled are designed to inspire your creativity and develop your thought leadership as an advocate for this approach to teaching U.S.History.
Have fun exploring and stay in touch.
Yours in global education – Craig Perrier
New Resources Added Each Month!
- 1 Online Book Added to the Library Human and Citizens Rights in a Globalized World (2016) by Magdalena Gawin Barbara, Markiewicz Agnieszka, and Nogal Rafał Wonicki
- 2 Articles Added to the Library , Deconstructing ‘Uncle Tom’ Abroad: The Case of an American President by Ana Stevenson and “Placing the American Revolution in a Global Perspective” by Steven Pincus.
- 1 Radio Broadcast added to the module, US in a Globalization Context module: How the World Views the U.S. Presidential Election.
- New Section Added – Interactive Visuals! – with 3 visuals on:
- The Enlightenment and U.S. Independence
- The U.S.Civil War
- Social and Political Music in the Atlantic World
- 1 Primary Source Added to Cold War Module
- 1 Data Analysis Tool Added to Primary Sources in the Globalization Module
- 1 Primary Source Added to Civil Rights Module
- 1 Primary Source Added to the Multi-national Companies Module
- 1 Supplemental Powerpoint Presentation added to the The Isolationism Module
- 1 C-SPAN Video Added to the Cold War Module
- 1 Podcast Added to Civil Rights Module
- 1 Podcast Added on Terrorism added to US and Globalization Module
- 2 Articles added to Interwar Isolationism and Civil Rights modules
- 2 Political Cartoons added to Cold War Module